We believe that everyone deserves the foundational elements of education and our efforts are designed to promote literacy, early childhood and youth education and address poverty. In addition to capital donations, sponsorships and in-kind contributions at the corporate level, our employees share their time and energy to make our social responsibility efforts successful.
Just a few of our current programs to enhance education and learning around the globe include:
The Cambodian Children’s Fund (CCF)
- Since 2011, Velcro Companies has supported the Cambodian Children’s Fund (CCF), which provides education, food, family support and community development programs in the heart of Cambodia’s most impoverished areas.
- Today, there are more than 2,300 students enrolled in CCF’s education program.
- Together, Velcro Companies and CCF are constructing a state-of-the-art school, the Neeson Cripps Academy, where children will receive high-quality education focused on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) topics. It will also provide much-needed teacher training, giving adults viable careers and opportunities.
- Velcro Companies donated the construction of the school, which is named after Robert Cripps, a former chairman of the company, and Scott Neeson, the founder and executive director of CCF.
- We also provide in-kind and financial support to further the CCF’s mission of caring for the most in-need children – and families – in Cambodia. In fact, we helped the CCF establish the food program to nourish hundreds of students and their families annually.
Inside the Classroom
- We always look for ways to honor and recognize educators’ commitments to students. Recognizing that a healthy and organized learning environment promotes student success, we partnered with designer Sabrina Soto to completely re-design the classrooms of second-grade teachers in Joplin, Missouri. The teachers in Joplin maintained a complete focused on their students, despite a devastating tornado that destroyed their homes and town.
Outside the classroom
- Velcro Companies is the main sponsor of the New Hampshire Fisher Cat’s Reading Challenge that fosters literacy efforts in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
- Every year, Velcro Companies awards scholarships to encourage STEM skills:
- The Velcro USA, Inc. / UNH George de Mestral STEM FIRST® Scholarship & The Velcro USA, Inc. / UNH Amazing Connections™ FIRST® Scholarship celebrate the spirit of innovation and determination epitomized by hook-and-loop inventor George de Mestral.
- Velcro Companies also sponsors community learning programs, including the New Hampshire Palace Theatre’s youth and teen-focused programs.
- Velcro Companies and its employees are one of the largest contributors to the United Way in the greater Manchester, NH area.
- Many employees participate in local school and university Boards of Directors to further the missions of local educational institutions.